Thursday 7 February 2013

More ABNA Beauties

It's starting to get a tad crazy now - so many books to read, so little time. I really wanted to get these three in, even though I haven't finished reading them yet.
Thoroughly recommened!
Lisa Rikand is one of the more experienced pitch doctors – her crits are always spot on and her witty banter has us all giggling. Ten minutes after Girl the Reaper plopped on my mat, I was on the fourth chapter and my living room had turned into Wisconsin farmland. This book has the same attraction and immediacy I felt when reading Nicholas Evan's Horse Whisperer, coupled with the very best of Stephen King's bizarre characters and attention to detail. Cate has a maturity way beyond her years, taking on a huge responsibility (her father’s life) with the sort of courage rarely seen in one so young. Fans say: it’s an “easy read! I would like to see more” and “this book has what I like to find in fiction: believable characters living out a story which piques my interest and causes me to experience a wide range of emotion.” 
I just think no life is complete without this book. 

Cara is our resident celebrity – her compelling YA paranormal thriller made it to the final round of ABNA in 2011. She can always be relied upon to spot something others may have missed and speaks with authority on many aspects of writing and the competition itself. Lost in Thought has a class about it that many YA novels fail to reach, Lainey feels to me like a cut above your average high school junior. I enjoyed every minute I spent in her company, feeling her “new kid in school” discomfort quite acutely and sharing her curiosity at the unusual characters and events. I was really impressed with her loyalty, affectionate nature and ability to stay cool under pressure.
Others say Cara’s “writing is very fluid”, that the book has “a creative plot and intriguing storyline.” and “... an action-packed ending with a twist that will leave readers clamoring for the next installment."  
I say: Can you just be reading it now?

Maggie Adina and I have an awful lot of fun on the pitch thread – usually at the expense of the poor lads - especially Don, Buzz and Thomas. With her background in journalism, Maggie has more than done justice to the little-known Irish slave trade with her poignant tale of Freddy O'Brennan’s fight for survival. I have only read the first few chapters (so far) of Spirited Away - A Novel of the Stolen Irish, so I will hand over to a few of the hundred plus reviewers on Amazon: “The description of 17th century life in the Caribbean makes it truly worth the read.” “Well written, with wonderful characters and believable raw emotion. I loved this book.” “This well written story pulls you in and makes you root for this young Irish girl. You feel her pain, her loneliness and her sadness as the harsh life of a white slave is shown in all its lurid detail.” “One woman's story realistic and unpolished is told in such a way that you feel you are there with her.” 
A tricky topic, but well worth the read. Go on, educate yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment